Friday, May 18, 2012

Church Lawyer Testifies Everyone Lied to Him About Secret List of Priest Abuse Suspects

Posted May 15, 2012 9:16 AM CDT
By Debra Cassens Weiss

The former chief counsel for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia testified on Monday that church officials lied to him about a secret list of 35 priests suspected of abusing children.

The list is at issue in the trial of Msgr. William Lynn, accused of allowing priests suspected of abuse to continue in their ministries, report the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Associated Press, the Allentown Morning Call and CNN. Lawyer Timothy Coyne was suspended from his job as chief counsel a few weeks after the list surfaced.

"Everyone I spoke to said they didn't know where it was, and they didn't have a copy of it," Coyne testified. "Somebody lied to me—or a lot of people lied to me."

A memo discovered in 2006 asserted that Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua had ordered the shredding of the list shortly after it was drafted in 1994. According to Coyne, no one told him about the shredding order.
  READ MORE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm itt appears like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm
thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I'm
still new to everything. Do yyou have any helpful hints for novuce
blog writers? I'd certainly appreciate it.