Saturday, March 10, 2012

NYPD report on Muslim shops includes stores owned by Jews, Catholics

Kings Row, a Brooklyn clothing store, was included
in a report about Muslim businesses. “I happen to be
a Sephardic Jew," said shop owner David Idy. " My
family is from Egypt, but I was actually raised in
Bensonhurst and consider myself an American.”
NYPD anti-terror detectives were compiling lists of businesses, stores and mosques linked to Muslim New Yorkers with Syrian, Albanian and Egyptian roots.

By Rocco Parascandola AND Corky Siemaszko / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Friday, March 9, 2012, 7:41 PM
Updated: Friday, March 9, 2012, 10:31 PM

NYPD anti-terror detectives compiled lists of businesses, stores and mosques linked to Muslim New Yorkers with Syrian, Albanian and Egyptian roots.

But they didn’t do a very thorough job.

The owners of most of the establishments listed in the “Syrian Locations of Concern Report” told The Daily News Friday they are neither Syrian nor Muslim.

“I think it’s pretty comical that my store would be in this report,” said David Idy, owner of Kings Row, a clothing store on Avenue U in Brooklyn. “I happen to be a Sephardic Jew. My family is from Egypt, but I was actually raised in Bensonhurst and consider myself an American.”

Cops also listed a Bronx barber shop called “Dino’s European Hair Style,” noting that its owner is Albanian and its close proximity to the North Bronx Muslim Center.

Shop owner Sammy Eirovic said, “I’m not Albanian, I’m Montenegran.”

“Honestly, I’m really surprised anybody would be spying on me,” he said. “We just cut hair.”

Among the supposedly Egyptian-owned businesses listed by the NYPD were defunct nightclubs like the Cleopatra on 5th Ave. in Brooklyn, which served liquor — something observant Muslims shun.

The reports were obtained by the Associated Press, whose ongoing probe of NYPD spying has sparked sharp criticism from Islamic and civil rights groups — and prompted strong rebuttals by Mayor Bloomberg and Commissioner Ray Kelly.
  READ MORE

No comments: