Saturday, May 12, 2012

Brooklyn DA plays sex-abuse politics

Charles Hynes
Last Updated: 12:35 AM, April 30, 2012
If anyone had dared to suggest that Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes’ office has an official policy giving preferential treatment to Orthodox Jewish sex criminals, the critic would probably be knee-deep in editorials charging him with anti-Semitism.

Alas, what’s an Orthodox Jewish lawyer like me to say when the DA’s lieutenants themselves announce just such a policy?

I’ll say this: Hynes’ refusal to disclose almost any information about the arrest or prosecution of alleged sex offenders from the politically powerful Orthodox community is not only discriminatory; it’s also a cynical insult to the victims his office is pledged to support.

Mind you, the discrimination is no mere allegation; it’s a matter of record. In letters this month to reporters Paul Berger, of Forward, and Hella Winston, of The Jewish Week, Assistant DA Morgan Dennehy explicitly affirmed that his boss’ policy for suppressing information about sex abuse is “unique” to the “Hasidic” community.

Yes, the letter gave a “reason” for singling out Orthodox Jews — but the reason made no sense. According to Dennehy, if the DA were to release any information about alleged perpetrators from the “tight-knit and insular” (his words) Orthodox community, there would be “a significant danger that the disclosure . . . would lead members of that community to discern the identities of the victims,” which could violate state law.

Hmm. When the DA’s office announced the sentencing of child abuser Gerald Hatcher last December, it gave enough information about his 11-year-old victim to lead those familiar with the assailant to guess her name. Surely many other Brooklyn communities are as “tight-knit” as the Orthodox Jews — yet Hynes is evidently willing to name perpetrators among them.
  READ MORE

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't refrain from commenting. Perfectly written!

Anonymous said...

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This paragraph posted at this site is actually pleasant.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for this wonderful read!! I absolutely enjoyed
every little bit of it. I have got you saved as a favorite to look
at new things you post…

Anonymous said...

Hi, I do think this is an excellent website. I stumbledupon it
;) I may revisit once again since I bookmarked it.
Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to help others.

Anonymous said...

Useful information. Lucky me I discovered your site accidentally, and I am stunned why this coincidence
didn't took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think your site might be having browser compatibility
issues. When I look at your website in Firefox,
it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has
some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!

Other then that, great blog!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 4!
Just wanted to say I love reading through your
blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the excellent work!

Anonymous said...

bookmarked!!, I love your site!

Anonymous said...

I think what you posted made a ton of sense. But, what about
this? what if you added a little content? I ain't saying your information isn't solid, however
suppose you added something that grabbed a person's attention? I mean "Brooklyn DA plays sex-abuse politics" is a little boring.
You should peek at Yahoo's home page and watch how they write news
headlines to grab people interested. You might try adding a video or a picture or two
to get people excited about everything've written.
In my opinion, it would make your blog a little bit more interesting.

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the so much vital info for me.

And i am happy studying your article. However should observation on few
common issues, The web site taste is ideal,
the articles is really excellent : D. Just right activity, cheers

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your article. I wanted to write a little comment to support you.

Anonymous said...

Great web site you've got here.. It's difficult
to find high quality writing like yours nowadays.
I really appreciate people like you! Take care!!

Anonymous said...

I used to be able to find good information from your blog posts.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic items from you, man. I have have in mind your stuff prior to and you're just extremely fantastic.
I actually like what you have bought right here, certainly like what you are stating and the way wherein you assert it.
You are making it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise.
I can't wait to learn much more from you. This is really a wonderful web site.

Anonymous said...

Simply wish to say your article is as amazing. The clarity for your post is simply nice and
i could suppose you are a professional on this
subject. Fine together with your permission let me to seize your RSS feed to keep updated with impending post.
Thanks a million and please keep up the enjoyable work.

Anonymous said...

Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google,
and found that it is really informative. I am going to watch out for brussels.
I will appreciate if you continue this in future. Many
people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and
found that it is really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels.
I'll appreciate if you continue this in future.
Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!