Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Georgia pharmacist denies miscarriage patient's prescription

From the files of "That's a law?" comes a story out of Milledgeville, GA. Brittany Cartrett had recently received the sad news that five weeks into her pregnancy she had miscarried.

"So we made the decision to not do a D&C and to get a medicine. So he said I'm going to give you this medicine, you'll take it, and it will help you to pass naturally so that you don't have to go the more invasive route", said Brittany Cartrett. The doctor's office called the Milledgeville Walmart to fill the prescription but they were told no and they were not given a reason.
They found another place to fill that prescription but when Cartrett went to the original Walmart pharmacy to get another prescription she had there, she asked the pharmacist:
"So we found another place to fill it but I still had to go up there to get another prescription so when I went up there she asked if I had any questions about this prescription I said no I don't but I do have a question about the other one. And she looks at my name and she says oh, well...I couldn't think of a valid reason why you would need this prescription", Cartrett said.
Pretty amazing, right? The pharmacist gets to veto the doctor. Unfortunately, this is the harsh reality of "refusal clauses," sometimes euphemistically called "conscience clauses." READ MORE

No comments: